Nikki's Reviews > Feed

Aug 08, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: zombies, speculative-fiction, post-apocalyptic
Read from August 07 to 08, 2011

I'm wavering between three and four stars for Feed. I'll start with the things that annoyed me -- and it's really one big one: the narration. There is no reason given for why the narrator is saying all these things: if she were narrating in her head, there'd be no need for the massive infodumps, because she knows what's going on and how the zombie apocalypse started. Also, for plot reasons, it shouldn't be in past tense, it doesn't make logical sense for it to be in past tense, (view spoiler): if that's the case, there's no explanation of that. She also mentions details that don't turn out to be relevant, in a way that makes me expect them to be -- e.g. mentioning backup batteries and how Buffy didn't check them, and then it just doesn't mention them again.

Also, I have to say, I didn't get emotionally connected with the story until the end of the second part, and I wasn't really emotionally connected until the end of the third. Mind you, I fought tears through the fourth and fifth parts, so it's not as though I never connected with it.

I enjoyed the characters, particularly the minor ones: Mahir, Senator Ryman, Emily Ryman. I did think the villain was a bit of a cardboard cut-out: you knew he'd be evil all along, just because the narrator doesn't like him.

If zombies freak you out, I don't recommend it. If disease freaks you out, I don't recommend it. If you want a zombie book with politics and an emotional kick, I recommend it. Just don't blame me if the narrator bugs you and the first part is kinda slow.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feed.

08/07/2011 page 76
13.0% "The tone sort of bugs me -- it's just like all the other slightly flippant narratives I've read ever -- but so far I'm enjoying it well enough. We'll see."
08/07/2011 page 119
21.0% "I really, seriously, do not need this much exposition. I think even the slowest of readers has figured out what's happened to the world in this, in as much detail as needed, by this point. Being 20% into the book would generally produce that hope, anyway."
08/07/2011 page 251
44.0% "Now there was an event with some emotional impact. Ouch."
08/08/2011 page 369
65.0% "Omg. Okay, now I'm emotionally invested. It took way too long, but, you know."
08/08/2011 page 519
91.0% "Holy shit, I am crying like a baby."

Martinxo Heh, heh, I like your page updates! : )