Liz's Reviews > Solid

Solid by Shelley Workinger

Jun 20, 11

3.8/5

The premise of Solid had me interested from the start –genetically modified teenagers uncovering a conspiracy? My kind of book. I really liked the main character Clio, because she appeared to be just a nice, normal girl who was now being forced to deal with the fact someone had played with her chromosomes before she was even born (something that’s bound to shock anyone). I think she handled the situation well – I know I couldn’t have stayed as positive as she did if I were in her position. I also think she was pretty strong and confident too, because she tried to find out things for herself (instead of just doing what she was told), whilst also looking out for her friends. I loved her scenes with Jack, because they really made me smile (those two were so cute together!).

Jack was another character I liked, because he just seemed like an all round good guy, and he could be quite romantic when he wanted to be, which I thought was really sweet. I think there was more to him than, though, than we were actually told about – I think the fact he didn’t really belong in any group was very interesting, and will become more relevant later on in the series. He also made me laugh, but I think the prize for the funniest character has to go to Garrett who I just found completely hilarious. The things that came out of his mouth just cracked me up, and it was so funny when he was “subtly” trying to find out if Bliss liked him or not.

One character I didn’t think I’d like was Miranda – she started off annoying, but as we got to know her, I think we got to see a side of her that really cared about her friends, and though she kept sprouting the same silly stuff, it became less frustrating and more endearing as we discovered more about her, and I grew to actually like her a lot more than I thought I would. I also liked Alexis towards the end, and thought the fact she was a techie was quite cool – I’d definitely want her around if I were being isolated in a secret facility! :P

Plot-wise, I thought some aspects were slightly predictable, as I had worked out who one of the bad guys was quite a bit before we discovered it, but there was also a little twist I wasn’t expecting which I think made up for it. The book was quite slow-paced, with most of the action being towards the end, but I really enjoyed it overall, and can’t wait for the sequel.

In conclusion, Solid was a very intriguing book with a premise that is sure to appeal to a range of different readers –whether you like a bit of romance, a hint of science fiction, a spot of action or a touch of mystery, you’ll find it all in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Solid.