Caris's Reviews > Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

Dec 04, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, christmas, 2011
Read from November 30 to December 03, 2011

Hated Lily. Hated her.

And it's such a shame. I hope Dash lets her down easily and meets someone else.

Dash is hyper cool. He's a nerdy, eloquent loner. His feelings are complex, and his life is complicated. He isn't too cool, though. His friends run the gamut between super neato and embarrassingly child-like. But they're all oddballs.

Lily is too young. She and Dash are the same age, but she acts as though she's a ten-year-old looking for love. She spends more time wanting her brother to play with her and daydreaming about puppies than she does anything else.

Some reviewers referred to this pair as a couple of hipster kids. Those folks, who will remain nameless, were hitting the ganja when they wrote that. Dash may very well qualify as a hipster, but Lily? Come on. Lily's a perpetual tween. Nothing about her is cool.

And that really messed things up for me. I loved Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. It was so well-written and fun. It caught the essence of the big city teen romance. This? Meh. The characters have no chemistry. The best Dash could hope for is to pick up a couple of bucks from Lily's parents for babysitting her.

If I'm honest, though, Dash is not a teenager. He's like the smartest fucking grad student you've ever met. He's lightning quick, ridiculously well-read, and innately philosophical. In other words, he just wasn't real. In many ways, Lily was the more convincing character. But Dash was too awesome. He deserved to be older and in a different book. Leave Lily to Boomer.

It's one of the better Christmas stories you could read, I guess. But that says more about what the season inspires than it does this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dash & Lily's Book of Dares.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Caris No. That's out of its league. More like actual Dickens.

Caris Agreed.

Andrew I feel like an idiot because I *had* Nick and Norah checked out from the library and then I took it back without reading it and read THIS book instead.

Caris #yafail

Andrew Oh, horrible. Now I'll never be able to read one of these Cohn/Levithan back-and-forth books without comparing it back to this improv-hack collection of cliches. You completely nailed Lily's character too - I'm about to review this book and realized something was off about her, but I didn't exactly make the connection that her emotional age was 10.

Caris Use Nick and Norah as a palate cleanser. It'll help. I think you'll find that this book will slip very quickly from your memory (or at least that's what happened in my case).