Trisha Wolfe's Reviews > On a Dark Wing

On a Dark Wing by Jordan Dane

Dec 25, 11

After I read IN THE ARMS OF STONE ANGELS, I KNEW I had to get my hands on more of Jordan Dane’s YA. She has an amazingly real way of creating characters that I connect to, and that I feel for.

Abbey was endearing to me. I remember crushing so hard on guys in HS and never having the guts to admit it to them, so this was easy for me to relate to. Abbey has built Nate up in her mind to be an escape from her reality. With a father as the town mortician, and living with the self-inflicted guilt of her mother’s death, she’s isolated herself away from others—all except for her best friend Tanner. Nate is where she can lose herself in desires for herself without the guilt of being happy. Tanner I think I loved even more. Being in a wheelchair hasn’t stopped him from living his life, yet he clings to Abbey because she doesn’t see him as others do—a boy in a chair. These two were simply amazing together.

I loved the Alaska setting. I don’t think I’ve read any other books that have described it in this great of detail. Especially when we join Nate on a mountain climb. I believe after reading DARK WING I might be able to climb one myself. Though I don’t think I’m as brave. I’d rather live through my book characters lol. Dane did a fantastic job of putting her readers right in the action, and making me feel as if I was a part of this trek right along with Nate.

Death’s character was complicated. In a way I was rooting for him. I understood what he desired and how he connected with Abbey, and I even melted during certain scenes, wishing for a way his dreams could be realized. But in the end, I’m a Team Tanner girl. How Tanner defended Abbey and protected her, I’m just a sucker for that type of guy.

Abbey battled a lot of emotions through her journey. I don’t do spoilers, but I’ll say that I loved how her story concluded. I was satisfied with the outcome, and Abbey grew leaps and bounds over a short period in her life. She faced Death, twice, and came out the victor. Love her! If you’re looking for something original and fresh, with awesome characters and a paranormal twist, don’t miss out on this fantastic read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On a Dark Wing.