Serena Yates's Reviews > Naked in Hong Kong

Naked in Hong Kong by A.J. Llewellyn

Jul 20, 11

bookshelves: m-m
Read in July, 2011 — I own a copy

What a wonderful, amazingly gripping and surprising book this is. I loved it from start to finish. The story took me on a rollercoaster of emotions, the like of which only very few authors can make me feel. I won’t tell you about the astounding twist at the end, nor am I going to reveal too many details. It would take all the fun out of reading the book. But I can tell you this is a book that will throw you for a loop and you’ll probably love every minute of the experience.

Rylan’s journey in this book resembles that of a man living a mystery. I know that may sound odd, but the way he goes from understanding very little about himself and his life to understanding everything that is important to him is like the process a detective goes through when solving a case. There are clues along the way, but I couldn’t place all of them first time around. Well, nobody has ever ‘accused’ me of being a good detective, but what I mean is that there is such a rich background both in California, which Rylan leaves behind, and in Hong Kong, where the riddle begins – and ends, that it is easy to get distracted by the beauty of it all.

This is exactly what happened to me the first time I read the book. I was stunned by the ending. It was totally perfect, felt right, and fit what I had read, but I had no clue why. Mainly because my brain doesn’t thrive on details, it tends to focus on the ‘big picture’. And that was very clear. But, knowing the way AJ’s brain works from reading his books, I knew there had to be more to it, so I went back and read it again. The fit was even better, and I think I discovered most of the clues he left along the away, but even now I’m not sure. Not that it matters, because whether you read this book with a ‘big picture’ kind of mindset or whether you’re able to pick up all the clues needed to solve the puzzle, the enjoyment will be the same.

Naked in Hong Kong is a great book which offers something for many different kinds of reader. There is a lot of humor, a serious message about the importance of going after what is important to you, amazing detail about Hong Kong, and a very touching romance. If you like books that surprise you, make you smile and leave you with a lot to think about, you will probably like Naked in Hong Kong. I totally loved it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked in Hong Kong.