VampireNovelFan's Reviews > A Perfect Blood

A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison

Feb 17, 14

bookshelves: favorites, elves, demons, paranormal-romance, urban-fantasy, vampires, witches, shifters, arc
Read from December 19, 2011 to February 17, 2014 — I own a copy, read count: 3

A Perfect Blood - A Near Perfect Blend of Old School and New School Hollows

Can this girl ever catch a break? Even cutting herself off from the demon collective and having a new bodyguard can't save our favorite itchy witch from problems. Rachel tries to adjust to being a borderline civilian (as she still works to solve cases after all) but her secret is out and that has made her the perfect target for a pretty serious hate group, HAPA, led by a group of sadistic humans. Their public enemy #1 is the Inderlander community and they will stop at nothing to be rid of them all, even if they must use Inderlander powers to do so. Of course we would have no story if Rachel wasn't exactly what they needed. She tries her damnedest to take them on the good old-fashioned demonless way, but she soon finds that it may not be enough.

She can't do it alone which results in the unlikely but very anticipated partnership with none other than Trent. And this partnership certainly doesn't disappoint. It's a new day for the new dad as we see a completely new but believable side to our favorite elf (well, he's my favorite at least). Their teamwork really is the heart of this book though other familiar faces, Ivy and Jenks, are still around.

Since Book 3 Rachel has liked to drive home that she and Trent look so good together, yet they're apart. But by the end of this book, you start to wonder why. Though she denies it, to me Rachel's actions clearly indicate growing affections towards him. As Trent embraces his magic, they seems a lot more compatible than one would initially think. If I spilled the beans about some of the revelations for his character, it would seem as if Harrison pulled it out of thin air. But she backs it up with several references from past novels, making one wonder if she was thinking about these threads all along. A lot of scenes are stark contrasts to what we've seen before, most notably her interactions with Trent in his home and office. Key moments throughout the series (though few and far in between) have taken place in those locations, so the evolution is meaningful.

While there wasn't a lot of Al, he certainly makes it count for the scenes he's in, managing to be his usual hilarious, yet terrifying self. I'm sure he will be a large presence in the next novel, so I'm looking forward to that. Jenks is funny as always, saying the most inappropriate things at the most awkward times. Ivy is stable and more of a presence than I was expecting based on Harrison's comments about her going away and then coming back in the last book. We're introduced to a few new supporting characters as well. Wayde is a Were bodyguard hired to look out for Rachel. Nina is a living vampire often being controlled by a master-vamp, making her really vulnerable. Both of those characters were okay---I could take them or leave them---but I really took a liking to Winona, a Witch prisoner that Rachel befriends as she takes on HAPA. She's a sympathetic character, just a normal person wanting to live her life. But the events of this book make her shine for her adaptability and practicality. I thought she and Rachel worked really well together.

I'm not sure if it's because it's fresh, but I LOVED this book...dare I say better than Pale Demon in a lot of ways. I liked Rachel's self discovery that she can hide but she can't run. She truly accepts who she is as a demon and the animosity between her and Trent is over too so now it's just the building process that you really hope pays off.

If I don't like a Hollows book, I will say so. I've been with this series since 2005, so I've been through all of the ups and downs. While I read many urban fantasy novels, I pick up The Hollows and feel like I'm saying hello to an old friend. It still manages to be really exciting, so knowing that there are only two books left (with a thirteenth as a possible continuation) makes me a bit sad. But for some reason, I didn't get the same vibe like I did from Pale Demon where it was really obvious how much the story was winding down. I guess that's a signal for filler, but at least it's good filler. The mystery aspect made me flash back to book 2 and the times when Rachel had gruesome mysteries to solve, so it gave me a feeling of nostalgia. This book isn't perfect but all in all I found it to be a satisfying entry to The Hollows series, so I gave it 4.5 stars.

Needless to say, I recommend this!

*Review also posted to Amazon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original post: Thank you everyone for participating in my A Perfect Blood ARC Giveaway and Hardcover/ebook Giveaway

Come hang out with tons of Hollows fans in my Hollows Corner - Everything Rachel Morgan

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Perfect Blood.

Quotes VampireNovelFan Liked

Kim Harrison
“The want for that kiss had shocked him more than the interruption, and he fell back into the chair, cool and nonchalant as Quen came in with his questions and demands. He wasn't sure if he believed he'd really helped, but one thing was very clear. He wanted that again, that feeling of standing with her against all odds and succeeding. He wanted it so bad, he was going to risk destroying everything he and his father had worked for. He should walk away. Right now. But as she was ushered out the door under David's arm, all he wanted to do was follow her. What the hell was he doing, falling in love with a demon?”
Kim Harrison, A Perfect Blood

Kim Harrison
“My God", he whispered. What have I done to her? He thought, humbled. The spell was broken, but it wasn't sealed, and her soul was bare to him, the scars of her tragic past and her triumphs over pain and her aching need to find her place. He just wanted to hold her to him and tell her it would be okay, that she had survived and was beautiful.”
Kim Harrison, A Perfect Blood

12/19 page 2
0.0% "Yeeeeeah that's gotta be the best damn feeling all year." 5 comments
12/21 page 16
3.0% "Officially making progress! I think I want to take my time with it. Don't worry, I'll be done well before I send it off for my giveaway." 4 comments
12/21 page 20
4.0% "To quote, or not to quote? That is the question. Let's just say the middle of the page had be giggling and blushing like a school girl on the train this evening." 24 comments
12/22 page 46
9.0% "This setting gives me flashbacks to Book 2. I like it!"
12/24 page 109
21.0% "I think I like Bell! <spoiler>Using Rex like a steed made me chuckle. </spoiler>"
12/24 page 109
21.0% "110 - Hahaha - I caught a Hollows Insider reference." 2 comments
12/24 page 204
40.0% "Rachel Rachel Rachel. ALWAYS getting involved with the crazies..."
12/24 page 251
49.0% "*sigh* faints. Totally getting a Book 3 vibe after the boat blows up, hehe."
12/24 page 280
55.0% "The moment of truth!"
12/24 page 285
56.0% "Ooooh boy. I got a new one for the quote books! But I won't post it until the book is officially out." 10 comments
12/24 page 327
64.0% "O-M-G. Jenks sure knows how to mortify someone, I'll tell you what..." 1 comment
12/25 page 392
77.0% "Merry Christmas! I was hoping to finish this before leaving to see family, but I guess I'll have to finish it on th drive."
12/25 page 438
100.0% "Wow, that ending was intense! Am I more Team Trent than before? Simple answer: HELL YESSS!!!" 28 comments
02/03 marked as: currently-reading
02/03
1.0% "Re-read fun coming up! We're getting cloooooseeeeeerrrrrrr!"
02/04
5.0% "Still got that kiss on your mind, eh Rache?"
02/05
17.0% "Trent will buy her dinner? Really?"
02/06
25.0% "Marshall was so boring. Glad that wasn't long term."
02/07
55.0% "Unashamedly I skipped to the good stuff :P. One of the most important elevator scenes I've ever read!" 4 comments
02/11
85.0% "Almost done. Gotta remember I have that bonus chapter left." 1 comment
02/17 marked as: read
show 3 hidden updates…

Katie Stop telling people about your contest so I can win!! :)

VampireNovelFan Hahaha! Well look at it this way, if you tell your friends to sign up, you increase the chance that one of you will win and then you can share a copy! Sharing is caring :P

Katie That is an excellent point.

Cher agree with Kat! Must win this book

VampireNovelFan Hehe. I would start my spreadsheet tonight so that I have less to do on Christmas Eve, but who am I kidding? I'll be splitting time between reading this, going to Zumba (class is prepaid, so I'm going), and watching The Wire. If you're wondering, to keep it random I'm entering everybody's names into Excel and running the random cell generator--can't get anymore unbiased than that!

Ithlilian At first I thought, wait, this is out already?!??! Enjoy :D

message 7: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Dec 24, 2011 08:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan The advanced copies are, yes. You know I'm giving it away for free when I'm done reading it, right? I'm mailing it Tuesday. If you want a chance to win it you can check out my blog for details:

Cher Is it to late to get the copy? I'm sorry I have really been busy this week. :)

VampireNovelFan Cheri wrote: "Is it to late to get the copy? I'm sorry I have really been busy this week. :)"

Sorry Cheri! I only had the one which I've since given away. But I will be doing a giveaway for the hardcover when it's released in February as well, so you can still join up for that ^_^.

message 10: by Cher (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cher Yay!!! Thanks I appreciate it.

VampireNovelFan Cheri wrote: "Yay!!! Thanks I appreciate it."

No problem! Also, please once you've joined make sure to vote on my poll for your favorite Hollows book:

message 12: by Cher (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cher Joined and voted!!

message 13: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Dec 30, 2011 05:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan Cheri wrote: "Joined and voted!!"

Thanks! It's a little one-sided right now so I'm glad to see other books getting some love...even though I voted for Pale Demon myself lol. I commented on the poll.

message 14: by Cher (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cher You were right, the wedding was a hoot! I would have given anything to actually see that happen and see Trent's face. I howled with laughter! Rach has no filter or knows no bounds.

VampireNovelFan Classic rachel moment for sure. Kim should just do a compilation of the funniest stuff Rachel's ever done, lol. She could fill a book on that alone!

Franny (The Reader's Edge) You arebuy such a tease! :-P

VampireNovelFan :P You'll love it, I promise! Haha! I can't wait for everybody to read it!

message 19: by Patt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Patt How did you get the book so soon? Thought it did not release until 2/22? Jealous! lol

VampireNovelFan Patt wrote: "How did you get the book so soon? Thought it did not release until 2/22? Jealous! lol"

I had a friend that had a friend that had an advanced copy of the book since they were a bookstore manager :P.

message 21: by Cher (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cher Great review and I feel the same way about the Hollows. I will miss these characters beyond belief.

VampireNovelFan Cheri wrote: "Great review and I feel the same way about the Hollows. I will miss these characters beyond belief."

Thanks, Cheri!

Nafiza Gah, I can't wait to read this.

VampireNovelFan Same here. The faster you all read it, the better. What's the hold up?

Nafiza If I read it, it's over for another year. Haha. I want to drag it out perhaps because there are no other series that remain as amazing as this one. I started reading Anita Blake at the same time as this (ergh) and Sookie (downhilll) and then there's Karen Chance's novels which have been good but not in Rachel's league. I'll probably gulp it down in three hours and then wish I had more.

message 26: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Feb 21, 2012 09:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan Awww! Yeah I can understand that feeling. I haven't tried the Sookie books yet but I've decided to wait until they're all finished. Anita Blakewent down for me after Book 7 so I just stopped caring about it. Karen Chance is okay at times, but I just don't like Cassie at all. I wish she were non-existent and the books were from Pritkin's POV, lol.

Maybe you should give the Fever Series and Kate Daniels a try? They are close second and third to the Hollows for me.

Nafiza Oh I've read both of them. I like them too. I also tried Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampire series and it was okay (I'm being lenient) until she goes and kills the main love interest in the 4th installment. :| The Grave Witch series by Kalayna Price is actually really promising. And Seanan Mcguire's fey series promises to get better now that a certain character is gone (ha). I'm always on the lookout for good urban fantasy series to read (can you tell?) but my first love remains The Hollows. I think there are two or so books left in the series, right?

VampireNovelFan I'm totally with you on Chicagoland vamps, though the main love interest to me was really lame, though apparently (view spoiler). I was personally team Morgan till she turned him into an a-hole. I stopped at the 4th because I just wasn't enjoying the series as much as the first book anymore.

Grave Witch is coming up on my TBR so I'm looking forward to it. October Daye is also on my tbr list though a bit farther down. Probably won't get to it this year.

Nafiza Oh does he? Yeah but really, he was lame. And I don't get why vampires have to be so subdued in the series either. I like my vamps a bit more badassed. I must stalk your lists now. :D

VampireNovelFan Nafiza wrote: "Oh does he? Yeah but really, he was lame. And I don't get why vampires have to be so subdued in the series either. I like my vamps a bit more badassed. I must stalk your lists now. :D"

LOL We're on the same page! Stalk that and if you're not a blog follower yet you should check that out too:

Especially since I do giveaways. I can ship to Vancouver too, though I'd probably want to ship myself there, lol. I loved staying there with a friend of mine (though she lived in Coquitlam so we commuted to the city). Best Sushi I've ever tasted behind Japan.

Sasha GAH!! It finally is released and I'm broke til the first! A friend offered to get me an Ecopy if I can find it for ten bucks or less. Curses! Kindle want's $15.00 Oh well, I guess I shouldn't be in such a hurry anyway. I'll just end up waiting for the next book sooner.

VampireNovelFan Yeah, Kindle is ridiculous. I want it on ebook, but I can wait until it comes on soft cover. In the meantime I have the hardcover because she's got to sign it for me!

Nafiza Haha, really? Vancouver has awesome food, that much is true. Downtown has some awesome sushi places. Coquitlam has good Korean food and Surrey has the Indian places.

I just got my hardcover from Book Depo. It was $16 and no tax soooo I figure it's a deal. :D And thanks, I'll check out your blog.

VampireNovelFan Yeah, that's for sure! Oh you're making me miss it already (though admittedly I preferred the summer to the winter since there was less rain, lol)

I got mine from Amazon for $15 and some change and free shipping so we made out good!

Hope you like the blog! And more importantly, I hope you like the book!

Donna LOVED THE BOOK! of course ;) trying to figure out the cover. Maybe I need to re-read it. Is that man Eloy on the cover and what scene do you think this cover was drawn from? I think I devoured it too fast. Darn I guess I will just have to re-read it to get all the finer details...

message 36: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Feb 23, 2012 06:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan Awesome Donna!! I loved it too. I think the guy on the cover was Trent because Kim said it was someone special to Rachel and we remember how he (view spoiler)

Sasha GAH!!! I'm really starting to feel left out.. I'm whining I realize, but really if it's just an e copy why oh why is it the same as the hardcover? It's not as if there's a lot of overhead for storing it in cyberspace or shipping it via semi trucks to wherever. My head is gonna explode whilst waiting til a week from now to be able to purchase it.

end whining rant. Thanks for listening. and Hugz to all of you fellow Hollows fans.
Still looking forward to reports about the signing too. btw.

VampireNovelFan Sasha wrote: "GAH!!! I'm really starting to feel left out.. I'm whining I realize, but really if it's just an e copy why oh why is it the same as the hardcover? It's not as if there's a lot of overhead for st..."

Hugz to you too, Sasha! I feel you on the ebook thing. That's why I just simply got the hardcover, especially since Kim will sign it anyway. The Hollows is the last series I plan to collect hardcovers for unless it's reference text. All other series get the ebook treatment. It's also currently the only series I will shell out premium pricing for...aside from Kate Daniels and Fever, but KD isn't that expensive new. I will totally wait until something is released in paperback for all other series so that the price drops. I refuse to pay over $10 for an ebook.

Donna VampireNovelFan wrote: "Awesome Donna!! I loved it too. I think the guy on the cover was Trent because Kim said it was someone special to Rachel and we remember how he [spoilers removed]"

I thought that too at first and I guess that is the best guess, but the guy on the cover has dark hair unless he is just that covered in shadow that makes him look dark. Trent is like pure blonde. I posted on Kim Harrison spoiler page asking that and I will see what she says!

VampireNovelFan Donna wrote: "VampireNovelFan wrote: "Awesome Donna!! I loved it too. I think the guy on the cover was Trent because Kim said it was someone special to Rachel and we remember how he [spoilers removed]"

I though..."

I think she recently said it can be who we want it to be since it's a loose interpretation of the plot, lol. But let me know! I'm going to her signing tonight so I will see if that question is brought up.

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian She said on her website prior to release that it was no one specific- just "atmosphere". But she has since said it could be (view spoiler).

VampireNovelFan Lynsey wrote: "She said on her website prior to release that it was no one specific- just "atmosphere". But she has since said it could be [spoilers removed]."

Okay, thanks. I hear conflicting things all the time when it comes to that cover, lol.

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian I think essentially it's just open to interpretation.

VampireNovelFan I'm going to a Kim Harrison signing tonight. It's your last chance to submit questions at my blog if anyone's a follower:

Donna VampireNovelFan wrote: "I'm going to a Kim Harrison signing tonight. It's your last chance to submit questions at my blog if anyone's a follower:

Have FUN tonight. I will see her in Seattle on March 7th.

Susie ugh my library only has it in audio format so now i have to request for them to buy ebook format cause sometimes i cant stand the voices they use for audio books!!

message 47: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Feb 27, 2012 08:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan Susie wrote: "ugh my library only has it in audio format so now i have to request for them to buy ebook format cause sometimes i cant stand the voices they use for audio books!!"

A lot of people really like The Hollows voice actress though. Marguerite Gavin I think? Anyway, people that do audiobook are always signing her praises. But good luck! I hope you get it soon!

Susie Really? Wow I listened to a sample an she just sounded a little "mature" for a first person pov of Rachel.
And thanks I figure once I put the request in it will take a week or two, then I have to make sure I'm the first to get to it otherwise I can be waiting for another month :-(

VampireNovelFan Susie wrote: "Really? Wow I listened to a sample an she just sounded a little "mature" for a first person pov of Rachel.

Yeah, I thought so too but many really love her. I guess if you're used to reading it that way you get attached? Audiobooks take way longer so I just prefer to read it normally.

message 50: by Lynsey (last edited Feb 28, 2012 02:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Excuse me butting in on the conversation (again):)

It's true Ms Gavin does have an older sounding voice (this seems to be the case for a lot of audiobook narrators which is annoying when your protagonist is meant to be in their twenties). However! She does an excellent Trent and a fantastic Jenks so it kind of compensates for it. She can get her voice really low for Trent, you know how Rachel's always commenting on how beautiful his voice is... And you forget that Rachel sounds a bit too husky after a while. I did my re-read of Pale Demon as audio and really enjoyed it.

« previous 1