Teresa's Reviews > The Unwritten, Vol. 2: Inside Man

The Unwritten, Vol. 2 by Mike Carey

May 25, 14

Recommended to Teresa by: rhea
Read in June, 2011

This installment started off as a 3, but picked up considerably by the middle, turning it into a 4 for me. The questions of the nature of narrative in our lives, the (un)truthfulness of stories and whether the veracity or lack thereof makes a difference (using the The Song of Roland as a reference point), and the effect on the work itself when it's been 'tortured' into its opposite by those who twist it into something it isn't for their own purposes all elevate this story.

The last few pages concerning a character who's been written as a rabbit into a children's story that he's trying to escape from is both creepy and funny, but with meaning.

What is true? Who and what is 'real'? And what does that word even mean? I look forward to the next installment.

As a side note, I recommend reading the short introduction afterwards, not before, as it made not one bit of sense to me reading it beforehand.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unwritten, Vol. 2.

rhea I absolutely agree with your review, I hadn't written a review (obviously). I was thinking of writing one when I was done with the series, but who knows. ;)

message 2: by Teresa (last edited Jun 21, 2011 11:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teresa rhea wrote: "I absolutely agree with your review, I hadn't written a review (obviously). I was thinking of writing one when I was done with the series, but who knows. ;)"

For example, I don't even remember if there was or wasn't a Pauly Bruckner (the man written into the children's story as a rabbit) who tried to steal Wilson's map, though once I read that about him, it did sound familiar.

rhea Teresa wrote: "If I waited until the end, I'd forget what I'd wanted to say about the earlier ones!"

I know I'll forget, but I don't have anything to say that I can think of, so stars will have to work for everyone! Ha!

Nick Kives I felt the same way. I was worried the series wasn't going to keep me interested in the beginning of this volume, but it turned around a good bit.

Glad you are liking it.

Teresa I am, so mucho thanks to you for lending them to Rhea.