Bev's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Jul 12, 11

bookshelves: audio-version, non-fiction
Read from July 06 to 12, 2011

Whew! I am breathless and overcome after reading this detailed account of the life of Louis Zamperini, particularly his survival on a raft at sea after his plane went down during World War II and then his experiences as a POW in a Japenese prison camp. What this man endured is unbelievable, and the fact that he came out of it alive and ultimately able to live a full and rewarding life afterwards is a true testament to the resilience of the human spirit. The reason I am not giving the book 5 stars is that it was so incredibly difficult for me to listen to (in the audio version, brilliantly narrated by Edward Hermann)the specifics of the abuse handed down by the Japenese in the POW camps. I had no idea of the cruelty these soldiers suffered, and I found myself turning off the story at times as the situations became more dire and hopeless. This is a story that must be told, however, for it is an aspect of World War II that many of us never learned about in history classes. The book also makes me realize how precious life is and how minor my complaints are compared to the real suffering endured by others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.