Erica's Reviews > The Ledge: An Adventure Story of Friendship and Survival on Mount Rainier

The Ledge by Jim Davidson

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: mountains, won-firstreads-giveaway
Read from July 01 to 10, 2011 — I own a copy

Won an advanced copy of this book on the Goodreads "First Reads" giveaway!

This is a wonderful book with a story reminiscent of Touching the Void - although not quite as unbelievable as that.
Every time I watch Touching the Void, I think, this can't all be true...I still have my doubts about all the details. Although, I have never read the book, which might give a more accurate story, the movie makes me feel like some of the story is made up just to market it. With this book though (The Ledge) you get a story that feels true, though fantastic. The miracle seems possible. I am amazed at his courage to climb out of the crevasse, I feel like I cannot put the book down until he is out safe. The dialog is intensely personal, thought provoking, and heart wrenching.

I would have given it 5 stars up until the end when he goes to talk to his partner's parents to tell them the story of the tragedy. I feel the story would have ended best there, with all the remaining information put into a brief epilogue. Instead, I feel a have to read for 20 pages, what I ought to have taken from the story, as if I couldn't take it and form those thoughts myself. The words feel too contrived, too like a motivational lecture. It should have just rested at the end, and you go away with what you go away with. And although Jim's triumphant climb of a 8000'er many years later is meant to be the final climax, it doesn't quite read that way - it reads more as a tacked on afterthought. It seems the authors just can't let the story end... he has to keep reiterating how it shapes his life continually.

Despite the final chapters, the book is amazing and inspiring. An awesome read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ledge.