Michael Foley's Reviews > Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts

Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me) by Carol Tavris

1938391
Jul 01, 11

Read from June 20 to 30, 2011

I really enjoyed this book. It caused me a lot of introspection and I've been more able to catch when I'm lying to myself to feel better about my bad decisions when I really have no reason to. We all do it. Buyers' remorse, re-telling a breakup, justifying our behavior after we've hurt someone. The list goes on and on and I LOVE this book for putting me in my place.

It tackles how unreliable our memories are, How memory repression therapy is flawed at best, how corruption is easier than we think, and how people can be duped into confessing crimes they didn't even commit.

About 40% of this book is research citations and afterword notes. This illustrates how well-researched this book is. I would suggest getting the kindle version, as it allows you to click on reference links in the main text and it will take you to the research source and notes for more in-depth study. The physical copy you'd have to flip back and forth over and over.

I highly recommend this book to anyone with a brain. That means you, literate person.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me).

06/20/2011
11.0% "I'm totally riveted to this book already. It's about how we rationalize our behavior and bad decisions instead of confronting them."
06/29/2011
57.0% "I see a heck of a lot of myself in this book. I hate/like that. Good to know so I can change for the better."
show 1 hidden update…