Joy's Reviews > The Lovers

The Lovers by Eden Bradley

2711937
Jun 25, 11

bookshelves: ebooks, erotic-fiction, contemporary-romance, favorites
Read from June 20 to 26, 2011

This is my first Eden Bradley novel and it certainly won't be the last.

The novel was aptly titled "The Lovers" and it's fascinating how such a simple title could convey a host of suggestions. I loved the location and how Ms Bradley set the pace of the story. It's some sort of retreat in the writers' club where Bettina is a member of, and after 2 years of therapy she finally got out of her shell and traveled from Seattle to California to join her fellow writers, whom she only interacted with online.

The location itself, a beachfront property was really relaxing and breathtaking. This is a very sensual novel and it reminded me of how the author Robin Schone writes her erotica, which engages the five senses. That's quality erotica for me and there's always a slow build, the anticipation, and no matter how "casual" the characters treated intercourse, the emotions were still there. They were really into it during the act and I really appreciated it. If I could compare the act of making love to something, it would be like savoring a favorite food or dessert like I don't want it to end. I'd close my eyes and just live for the moment and cherish those moments, not just let them pass me by.

Ms Bradley's writing style is fluent, simple, and very impressive it has a deep impact. Her vivid descriptions leaves nothing to the imagination and her imagery is astounding one could almost hear the ocean waves, feel the coarse sand, inhale the fresh air, and just be there. Very beautiful and artistic.

The author used the first person point of view very effectively (Bettina's) and I found myself wound up, my stomach tied up in knots. Sometimes I see things the way she does; I'm a writer if only a self-proclaimed one, sometimes I have self-esteem issues, and most of the time I'm the jealous type. I liked how Ms Bradley added Audrey's character. Frankly I didn't know where all of this would lead so I just kept on reading.

It's obvious Bettina has a lot of issues and I liked how the other characters like Viviane, Audrey and Jack described her, because she obviously see herself differently. I could imagine she has this beauty, but a realistic one. Audrey is like a shiny new toy and she's really intense. I had a funny feeling about her whenever she and Tina were together, not just having sex. Little by little, we see glimpses of the three main characters' histories and how they came to be. Audrey shared bits and pieces of herself but she's not real, and based on her actions she needs professional psychological help.

Jack is a different matter. He's one of those guys who is sure about himself, but by sharing his past with Bettina, one could understand why he is. Though this story happened in one setting, and a perfect one at that, the character developments were dramatic and convincing. The most improved is Tina herself, when she finally bared her true feelings and for the first time she felt something worth fighting for. The ending wasn't what I expected but I'm not saying it in a bad way. It's still quite open and there are a lot of possibilities and I enjoyed it immensely. Jack is one of the "real" persons in this story together with Viviane. I'm glad he finally admitted to being a coward and revealed how he feels about Bettina, they are quite the pair. I'm especially excited about their travel plans because I love traveling myself, going places, eating different food, watching people.

This is a masterpiece and if you're not offended by F/F, F/F/M, a little voyeurism and exhibitionism, I highly recommend this for you. This one has an aftertaste, more of an afterthought, like a post-coital glow.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lovers.