Doug Beatty's Reviews > The Murdered House

The Murdered House by Pierre Magnan

Jun 20, 11

bookshelves: mystery
Read in June, 2011

This was a very strange novel, the story of Seraphim Monge, who as a baby was left in a crib while his family was massacred around him. 25 years later (now it is 1919) he is finally told the story of how he was found and is given the key to his family home, a home that was never sold because of the massacre. Three men were caught and hung for the murders, but it is later revealed that they might not actually be guilty. Seraphim sets upon destroying the house, and while doing so, uncovers the identities of the true murderers. He begins to plot revenge, but is there a second hidden murderer out there that executes his revenge for him? He also seems to have taken the interest of three local young women, but becuase of his past vows to nevery marry or have children, and has to thwart them at every turn.

This was a rather strange novel but very readable. It is a little slow to start, because you have to get the setup, and this takes a rather long time, but it makes more sense when events start to happen in the present day. Then, the plot moves much more quickly to the end. The end is very strange, and I am not sure I totally understand it. I have a general idea, at least what I THINK might have been a general idea, but not knowing anyone else who has read it, one can never be sure. It IS an ending that will stay with you.

It is a rather dark and dreary novel, and is a stand alone mystery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murdered House.