Doug Beatty's Reviews > Maigret and the Man on the Boulevard

Maigret and the Man on the Boulevard by Georges Simenon

Jun 20, 11

bookshelves: mystery
Read in June, 2011

I have not read a Maigret novel since high school, and I highly enjoyed revisiting this classic author. If you like what I would call a "classic" mystery story, Maigret may be a detective for you! He is a chief superintendant, and you really don't learn much about his private life, instead the focus is on the current investigation. In this case, there is a man found stabbed to death on a boulevard, and when his wife identifies the body, she is shocked to find that he is wearing light brown shoes (gasp!) and a tie that is almost RED! It is further discovered that his place of business has gone under and has been for several years, yet he is still traveling to the city every day, pretending to go to work. Did he have a hidden life? Maigret soon is on the case, locating witnesses that might have been able to shed light on the case.

Wonderful little story. Not long to read (took me a couple of hours) and a very nice way to spend the afternoon. Maigret is featured in 75 novels, so there are plenty more where that came from!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maigret and the Man on the Boulevard.