Chris Johnson's Reviews > Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations

Here Comes Everybody by Clay Shirky

Sep 17, 11

Read in August, 2011

This is an answer, in many ways, to Bowling Alone. (Putnam, I think).

The tools we have today- the stuff I've been into since the late 1990s are, more or less the new way of socializing. The tools change what we do. Twitter, FB, etc, change the way that we behave. The flow of information can't be top down, and won't be top down.

Stuff like WikiLeaks is the modern day answer to what dropped the 1989 Lepzig (east german) government. Wikis can benefit from trivial contributions from many people. Some people may only change a phrase, or correct a typo, or even make a stub. That menas that a subversive organization can accept and benefit from tiny inputs across a wide network.

Networks outperform command-and-control hierarchies, is Clay's argument, and GoodReads is an example of this: what's a good book? What's a bad one? Do I like someone? Do I take their advice?

I welcome what's coming because, despite the kick in the teeth America's gonna get, we're gonna find our way to a meritocracy yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here Comes Everybody.