Ela 's Reviews > The Lightning Thief

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Dec 24, 2011

bookshelves: my-favorites, favourite-heroes, movie-tie-in, fangirling-over
Read in November, 2010

I'm slightly ashamed to say that I watched the movie before I read the book. But I'm even more ashamed that I watched the movie only to experience the hotness that is Logan Lerman.

But, come on! Someone tell me that this , is not hot:

Really. What did I tell you? (I do imagine that you probably won't read the rest of the review anf just stare at this gif instead, but that's no reason not to like my review! :D)

But, I really have to thank Logan. I really do. Because without his unfreakingbelieveable hotness, I wouldn't have watched the movie, and I would've never read the awesomeness of The Lightning Thief.

Yes, I loved the book. I've always taken an interest in Greek Mythology and I thought Rick Riordan's take on it was very unique, and unlike anything I've read before.

I absolutely loved Camp- Halfblood. Well, it sure seemed better than the budget summer camps I've been to. RR seriously out did himself with writing the camp. I could imagine everything vividly and I like to think that I know the camp from back to front. The cabins would have to be my favourite feature of the camp, though. If only they were like that in the camps I've been to.

Percy. What can I say? The guy has amazing underwater powers, is kick- ass and is a demigod. He's super loyal to his friends and family, is brave and has the looks (this is the part when you look at the gif of Logan Lerman again ;D). And he can make me laugh. Come on. You have to give a guy who make you laugh some credit. In short, the guy's the full package.

Another thing I loved were the other characters. Especially Annabeth, who looks like Cinderella in Percy's words (am I right? I don't have the book on me, sorry. Stupid library fines). And I'm expecting something to develop between her and Percy, if you know what I mean....

So, yeah. I loved the book, it was exciting, fast- paced and humorous. Just one thing though, I'm kind of pissed that they didn't have cabins in the movie. Or Clarisse. Or the Oracle. Though it's hardly RR's fault. I just had to get it out there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lightning Thief.

01/30/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 112-161)

message 161: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess Awesome review. Now you need to read the rest of the series. ;P

message 160: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Thanks, Jess. And I've already read the rest of the series. This review was just one floating around my computer that I never had a chance to finish. Today just happened to be a day I had time and actually remembered to do :D

message 159: by [deleted user] (new)

Im gonna watch that movie read that book :)

message 158: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Haha, you go do that, Trinity :)

message 157: by Annie (new) - rated it 3 stars

Annie Reads Stuff Planning to re-read the first book and complete the series. And yesss, I though the movie was a trainwreck but stayed inside the cinema because of him (I'm not even sorry).

Great review.

message 156: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Yep, I have to agree with you on the trainwreck. It really was, but Logan, if I could say, was brilliant.

And thanks! :D

message 155: by Nancy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nancy The book junkie I have to admit that Logan's hotness is also the reason why i watched the movie and then read the books! I have to thank him because i became addicted to this serie!

message 154: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Exactly. I think, based on the comments here, that we can all agree we watched and read The Lightning Thief because of Logan, huh?

I have to say, the casting director did a good job! ;)

message 153: by Nancy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nancy The book junkie Oh yeah! And i can't wait for the next movie in 2013! More Logan on the big screen, i won't complaint!

message 152: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Haha, definitely. More Logan!!!

Mikaela he is sooo hot

message 150: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva gods, he is so hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sabrina Too hot for words

message 148: by Maddie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maddie I actually saw him in some other film (don't recall what it was) and my friend told me about the Percy Jackson movie, so I decided to pick up the book and have sworn not to see the movie until I'm done with the book ;) I'm just that type of person. But I will admit, Logan's pretty hot.

message 147: by Ela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ela Yes. Logan is yum. I'm so excited for this film adaptation of The Perks of Being a Wallflower he did with Emma Watson and Nina Dobrev.

And Maddie, you need to read the book. It is excellent.

message 146: by Maddie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maddie I am reading the book now. I have about thirty pages left and it's very good. I also read Perks and when I found out that Logan was playing Charlie and Emma Watson is playing Sam, I was very excited. I really can't wait to see how that movie turns out, and I also can't wait to finish Percy Jackson to be able to watch the movie.

Rebecca Logan is HOT i LOVVVVE HIM!

Althea *Go wolves and dragons!*(Coach Hedge) Inigo Wow! that was an awesome Review!!!:) I agree in every thing ya said;)

message 143: by Brie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brie logan is hot buttttttt my heart is with josh hutcherson/peeta in the hunger games another ammmmmmmazing book

message 142: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Evans I don't think Percy says Annabeth looks like Cinderella

message 141: by Chacy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chacy WHY?! oh WHY?! do you have to put a Logan gif on your review ?! *hyperventilates*

message 140: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Chrysostomou Ela, the pure unadulterated hotness of Logan is DEFINITELY a good reason to watch the movie. I read the books first but when I saw the trailer, oh my dear sweet Lord. I always imagined Percy as hot but wow. Jaw-droppingly gorgeous. Excellent casting, truly appropriate - for once, a movie based on a book wasn't a disappointment! :D

message 139: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Chrysostomou PS you HAVE to finish the series!!!

message 138: by Molly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Molly Oh gods Ela! Your review made me laugh so hard!! But Logan is SUPER hot!!! I spent 30 seconds just staring at the picture!!! Who's the pouting chick? The eyebrow guy made me choke!!!

message 137: by Molly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Molly Oh, you HAVE to finish the series! Then read the Heroes of Olympus!! It's a sister series to Percy Jackson!!!

message 136: by Molly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Molly Wait, is the girl Snookie?

Ju_potter Best review ever!!! <3

and dat gif.... ;D

Forever lazy Kat ~*duh-duhm duh-duhm whaddayaknow...

i just stared at that gif for about a minute there... then i read your comment below and i laughed out loud! how'd you know i'd stare at logan's gif? XD lol!

Laetitia Marie Gaubert Completely agree aswell! I watched the movie because as it already has been mentioned... Logan! And ended reading the series which is absolutely amazing!!!!

message 132: by Megan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan Alright Ela it's not hot

message 131: by Megan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan Although deep down it's freakishly adorable!

message 130: by Megan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Megan *fans self* Geez, Logan is hot! XD

message 129: by sel (new) - rated it 5 stars

sel The only reason I watched the movies was because of Logan...XD

message 128: by Joelle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joelle C. i watched the movie first too but the book was so much better i still liked the movie but the book goes more into the story and the movie cut a lot out;)

Christpher Zanni The Oracle is on the 2nd movie so just wait. And no didn't really care about Logan I'm not gay any way back to the point he was a great actor and a good book. Your really funny Ela great pictures same with your review. I did read the rest of your review instead of looking at some guys face.

message 126: by Megan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Megan Ummmmm, excuse me? All of us read the review, dude! It was fantastic!

message 125: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Zanni I personally LOVE Logan as well and honestly he is the reason I watch The Perks of being a wallflower sooooo I totally get it no shame there ;)

Christpher Zanni Really Lindsey really. Anyway your right is was a great book just not my favorite.

message 123: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Evans I hated the movie- but absolutely adored all the books!

message 122: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Boersma Logan something is so wearing contacts.

message 121: by sel (new) - rated it 5 stars

sel Yes, your review was great Ela and I also watched the movies only for Logan. ;) Rick's books got me interested in mythology as well.

message 120: by Tiona (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tiona Ik right LOGAN LERMAN!!!!

message 119: by Drew (new) - rated it 5 stars

Drew Clarisse is in the 2nd movie :)

message 117: by [deleted user] (new)

No offense, he's not hot.

Christpher Zanni I don't really care. I read the books an liked them. I did NOT see the movie because of the actors

message 115: by Megan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Megan Uh, dude! We all love Percy Jackson, we all watched the movie, but we didn't take the time to watch it just because of the actors!!!! We all loved the series and absolutely are a complete and while FANDOM.

Kimberly Kwapong I did the exact same thing for the exact same reason. I FEEL U SISTA!

message 113: by Megan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Megan Kimberly wrote: "I did the exact same thing for the exact same reason. I FEEL U SISTA!"

WOOHOO!