Rhapsodyblue00's Reviews > Indigo: In Search of the Color That Seduced the World

Indigo by Catherine E. McKinley

U 50x66
Jun 19, 2011

it was ok

I found the anticipation at reading what I thought would be an incredible story much more exciting than the actual book. It it not introduced by any review I read as a memoir -- yet it is simply that. In the same vein as Eat, Pray and Love, which travel was also paid by in this case a Fellowship (which the author constantly informes us -- as if we had forgotten the other dozen times), and I didn't really like that book either.

I expected this to be a story about INDIGO -- but it was only a minor character, and if the author reallly learned about the history, the plant growth, harvesting, processing, dyeing, etc., she didn't share that with the reader. The author was on a pilgrimage for the discovery of her own self. Her power of description was good in some places, lacked depth in many, and it was really difficult to feel much compassion for the characters. With the exception of the (funeral of her mentor's husband) which was in parts moving and touching, there was no rise and fall of emotion. I finished the book because I don't like to judge until I have (read the whole thing!) But I will have a difficult time recommending this book. As a member of a book club, I was excited to think that this might possibly be one we could share, but I don't think their are many who would enjoy this.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Indigo.

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Reising Thanks for the heads-up on this one Jan. I had added it to my list for all the reasons you cited - and now knowing that it doesn't live up to the expectation, I think I'll just delete it from my list. I dislike very much the Eat, Pray, Love genre... for me it feels like a waste of time and fairly empty. thanks for sharing, as always!
Cheerio ~