Carol's Reviews > Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

F 50x66
Mar 17, 2008

Read in March, 2008

I am grateful to anyone who attempts to write something that is honest, and I think this is. Never mind anything about the person, their behavior or choices. If they are honest it seems to always work.

I'm left thinking about a few things. I'm pissed off at yet another profession women are not attracted to because they can't put up with the environment and juvenile behavior of a kitchen. I call bullshit on that. I also wonder why he left off the delivery guys in his description of the different players. Surely at least one of his restaurants delivered? They are the most underappreciated people on the planet.

This is also a psychological study. Why he was attracted to the profession, the addiction to smoking, drinking, drugs, the adrenaline rush of the kitchen. His privileged upbringing; the profession as a way to rebel. The look in his eyes on the cover tell a story all their own, especially after you read it.

Last but not least, this is also about enjoying food. I found it provactive all the way around.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitchen Confidential.

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I read this awhile back, it lead me to read more of his work, both fiction and non-fiction. I loved the fact that it was so raw-he didn't hold back on what really went on in the kitchen and in his head! I have developed a huge appreciation for how kitchens/restaurants run, and how back-breaking the work is. Bourdain is a flawed human being who writes beautifully and honestly.

message 2: by Marie (new)

Marie cuatt These reviews have inspired me to put this book on my to-read list....