Karen Hipson's Reviews > Radical Homemakers: Reclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture

Radical Homemakers by Shannon Hayes

F_50x66
Jun 19, 11

Read in June, 2011

LOVED the first part of the book. She took everything that we (well, some of us) already know about the vital importance of the home and the homemaker, spelled it out, backed it up with facts and figures, and just generally did a great job. It was so loaded with quotables that I didn't even try... just get the book. It's worth it just for the first third, even if you don't read the rest.

Unfortunately the rest of the book got more than a little long-winded, repetitive and lost my interest more than once. It was all right, but just got to be too long. The personal stories were nice, and to be sure there were interesting bits and pieces throughout. There was more emphasis on the Earth and environment than I expected to see, and the serious over-use of the phrase "Radical Homemaker" got to be a bit much.

Then it wrapped up with a great close. So, all in all, I call this one a good bit of encouragement for the homemaker or wannabe.

She writes from a non-religious point of view which for some will make the book more inviting - but don't think for a minute that it's completely devoid of personal philosophies and beliefs. It's all there, she just has a different point of view.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radical Homemakers.