Eric's Reviews > Eona: The Last Dragoneye

Eona by Alison Goodman

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult-fiction, dragons, down-under
Read from July 06 to 09, 2011

I have to remind myself that I wished for a many of things when I started this book. Most of them were all here but not in the manner I had expected. I really had to remind myself at times I had hoped for characters to have the realizations that I thought were pretty obvious in the first part and when it came to the book by the time it happened it was a bit to late.

The Eon duology is funny because at times I think it could've been one book heavily edited and others if some things played out could've had a solid trilogy. The weirdest parts were essentially when they were sitting around just waiting for things to happen. No training or anything was occurring and they literally were shooting the shit essentially just waiting to be caught. Being "the resistance" I felt it a bit silly - do something - please. I try to not compare book like this but when the same moments happen in Finnikin of the Rock you bet there is something going on. They are waiting to pass some time - there is something going on. Characters need to learn a lesson, there's training, hell even someone using their powers to better a better understanding of what's to come so when it's time to move again they're better prepared.

I'm not saying that the book wasn't good, it just was a bit inconsistent at times and it started to show more this time than last. What really was frustrating was in the first book there really was the need to find out what all of the female/male"ness" of being was all about. Now that she's given her true name we're repeating the same mistakes all over again with "how could this be bad / is it what I want / is this what she wants" ad nauseam.

At the end of the day I'd say it fairs better than others but be warned if you've already got a bit of reservations for the first part it's not going to do much better now.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eona.

07/07/2011 page 3
0.0% "Ugh. Everyone said this book improved upon the first but I keep seeing the same trappings of it. I'm going to try very hard to no complaint but if I have to hear one lore time is the folio, sword, or other evil - or their treachery I'll scream."
07/08/2011 page 3
0.0% "Be careful what you wish for. Right?"
07/09/2011