David's Reviews > Pump Six and Other Stories

Pump Six and Other Stories by Paolo Bacigalupi

Jun 24, 11

bookshelves: fiction, science-fiction

I've been interested in reading Bacigalupi since hearing about the Windup Girl, his immensely popular Hugo and Nebula-winning novel. This is a collection of his short fiction, some set in the same world as the Windup Girl, but mostly not. Most of the stories were really interesting, and even very well-written. There were moments of really lovely language, and invariably interesting stories and characters. The only qualm I have with the collection is that the stories are all generally unpleasant. There isn't a single story that isn't creepy, depressing, disgusting, or all three. Not that that would scare me off in a single work, but out of eleven stories, I'd hope one would be pleasant.

That said, they were excellent stories. Unlike much sci-fi, they actually have important things to say, and to that end, a collection like this works really well. He makes many environmental points through speculative fiction (which isn't nearly as annoying as it sounds).

So, yes. I recommend the book. They're damn good stories, but maybe read them over a month or two, while reading Pollyanna or something. I feel like that'd keep you chipper.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pump Six and Other Stories.