Elizabeth's Reviews > Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

Jun 24, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction-real-life-adventure
Read in May, 2011

This book was a wonderful and surprising pleasure -- I'm not runner, but this fascinating and compelling true life adventure will inspire runners to reach deeper in the sport and certainly will encourage non-runners to consider starting. It will make anyone think about the evolution of our bodies to be runners and makes a convincing case that running is exactly what we're made to do.

In search of an answer to the question, "Why does my foot hurt?" Christopher McDougall embarks on an adventure to find a tribe of the world’s greatest distance runners and learn the secrets to their remarkable achievements. His fascinating discoveries point to a total rethinking of everything we know about running.

The reclusive Tarahumara Indians of Mexico’s deadly Copper Canyons are isolated by wild and treacherous terrain. For centuries they have cultivated practices that allow them to run hundreds of miles without rest and chase down anything from a deer to an Olympic marathoner while seeming to do it effortlessly. The author and a motley collection of recluses and runners try to uncover the Tarahumara secrets to running, health, and tranquility.

From Amazon's description: "With the help of Caballo Blanco, a mysterious loner who lives among the tribe, the author was able not only to uncover the secrets of the Tarahumara but also to find his own inner ultra-athlete, as he trained for the challenge of a lifetime: a fifty-mile race through the heart of Tarahumara country pitting the tribe against an odd band of Americans, including a star ultramarathoner, a beautiful young surfer, and a barefoot wonder."

This book inspires and edifies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Run.