Lora's Reviews > The Fresco

The Fresco by Sheri S. Tepper

Jun 22, 11

Read from June 20 to 22, 2011

Excellent worldbuilding derailed significantly by needless political pontificating. The ending was offensive to good sense and the rest of the novel as a whole. I felt like Ms. Tepping was sitting next to me, nudging me with her elbow and saying "Do you get it? Did you see what I did there? Do you get the parallels?"

Authors, when you manage to annoy me by preaching politics I generally agree with, there's something wrong.

Minus stars for ideological mud-slinging, but plus for fascinating worldbuilding, xenology, and xenosociopolitics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fresco.

Quotes Lora Liked

Sheri S. Tepper
“The practice of diplomacy, I have found, is sometimes like eating soup with a fork: much activity yielding little nourishment.”
Sheri S. Tepper, The Fresco

06/19/2011 page 24
6.0% "I have a soft spot for 'abused woman has enough and leaves the big jerk' stories. Combine that with 'and then saves the world WITH ALIENS' and I think I'm in heaven."
06/19/2011 page 26
6.0% "Wait, so aliens are killing non-environmentalists? Trying to figure out whether this is plot-relevant or just the author's politics showing."
06/19/2011 page 37
9.0% ""And then, that actor who killed himself, because of the terrible lies that paper told". Sometimes, if you don't want to make a dated pop culture reference, you just shouldn't say anything at all. This is Herb and Jamaal territory. ("Wow, check out the latest on the hotel socialite!")"
06/19/2011 page 45
11.0% "Fascinating social worldbuilding here, with bonus pronoun levels, to boot! Yay sociolinguistics!"
06/21/2011 page 158
38.0% "Interesting. The morality in this is pretty black/white and the politics transparent, but I'm loving the reversal of the 'evolved Earthman meddles with lesser society' trope. Take that, Stargate."
06/21/2011 page 232
56.0% "Still trying to work out where this is going -- after having such clear-cut human villains, it's difficult to know where the ETs stand. I know who is the overt villain, but it's tricky."
06/22/2011 page 349
84.0% "AUUGH!!!! Never mind heresy, talk SENSE. You don't clean a millennia-old fresco by sloshing buckets of liquid on it! Are they INSANE?!"
06/22/2011 page 399
96.0% "This is a horrifyingly offensive conclusion."
06/22/2011 page 416
100.0% "Way, way, way too easy."