Susan's Reviews > A London Girl of the 1880s

A London Girl of the 1880s by Molly Hughes

Jun 23, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from June 18 to 22, 2011

When Molly Hughes turned sixteen in 1881, her father had died some time before, and her four brothers were out making their way in the world. Her mother gave her a choice --did she want to go live in much loved Cornwall with her own horse for riding and occasional trips abroad, supported by her brothers, "or--would you rather earn your own living?". She says, "I hesitated. Rosy visions of Cornwall and its romantic villages, possession of a horse (always a passionate desire), the sea, Italy and Rome floated in my imagination. It must have been a bit of my father's blood that made me say, "It's awfully good of the boys to say that, and I know they mean it, but I would rather be independent.". This book recounts her experiences as she goes to school to become a teacher and takes her first teaching posts--her studies, friends, teachers, family, and amusements, including a delightfully detailed section on her first visit to Wales.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A London Girl of the 1880s.