Kirsten's Reviews > Tears of a Tiger

Tears of a Tiger by Sharon M. Draper

Mar 15, 08

bookshelves: read-pre-12-07, from-library, work-related, children-or-ya
Read in February, 2004

Another YA novel for class. This concerns Andy, who is trying to overcome depression in the aftermath of a terrible car accident that claimed the life of his best friend. Andy was driving drunk, and while he escaped unscathed, his best friend was trapped in the wreckage and burned to death.

I'm not hugely enthusiastic about this novel. It's definitely a "problem" novel, designed to teach kids something, in this case both about drunk driving and depression. It is told almost entirely in dialog, which makes it a fast read, but because it's all in dialog the characters often say things that ring false -- often much of what is spoken aloud struck me as more likely to be an internal monologue. Also, it forces the author to cover any exposition in either dialog or in the journal entries and letters that pepper the book, which also can seem contorted. Sometimes it reminded me of bad science fiction novels where one character explains a technology to another character when both know how it works. You know, "As you know, Dr. Smith, the thingenometer receives waves from the ploozlewhatsit, and..."
Still, I think the book would be great to recommend to relunctant readers, since it's almost like a movie script or something, and looks very non-intimidating on the page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tears of a Tiger.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mrs. Lapacka Thank you! I feel the same way about the dialogue in this book! Why did this book win an award and so much positive word-of-mouth?

Kerry Zielke I liked the book, but I also questioned the way that the kids talked. I teach 7th grade, and I've never heard kids say shucks and right-on. I think that this may be the reason that so many kids pick up the book and put it back. I think that the author could have written this important story in a much more realistic manner, but she really wanted it to be written through different modes of writing, and this lead to it's contrived writing style.