Rach's Reviews > My Life in France

My Life in France by Julia Child

Jun 05, 12

bookshelves: ebook, non-fiction, memoir, 2012, favorites
Read from May 21 to June 03, 2012, read count: 1

I have never seen Julia Child's tv show, nor read her cookbooks, nor actually tried to cook anything out of them. Of course, I knew who she was through general cultural awareness, and after the movie Julie and Julia came out a few years ago, I was especially interested in reading this book on her life.

I could not have loved this book more. Julia has a charming voice, and a remarkable memory for detail. Though I'm sure there were tough times as well, every second of her life seems full of adventure and good spirits. I appreciate her thoughtfulness, tact, and good will, but most especially, her passion for food. I loved hearing about her creative process, the hours that went into perfectly crafting each recipe, and the deliberation that went into selecting each word that went into her book. I still have no desire to be a chef, or even an at-home cook, but I now want to hunt down all these fantastic dishes she mentions, because they all sound absolutely fantastic.

In truth, I could not recommend this book more highly. Not only is it fascinating for people who love food, but it's entertainment value stretches far beyond that limited scope. From stories about Paul's work for the government to details about Julia's everyday life in France, Germany, Norway, and eventually the US, this is a unique look back into a time and place that will never exist again. You don't want to miss it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life in France.