Holly's Reviews > Beautifully Broken

Beautifully Broken by Sherry Soule

Jun 19, 2011

bookshelves: kindle, death-ghosts, debuts, series, witches_magic, from-author
Read from June 12 to 13, 2012 , read count: 1

I was given a free ebook copy of this from the author and I couldn't have been more excited. This was a book that had been in my virtual to-read shelf for quite some time, but my local library didn't have a copy. It would have been a really long time before I got around to either buying my own copy or seeing if someone I knew had it. So I jumped at the chance to read this for free.

For the most part, I really enjoyed the book. It was dark and eerie to the max at times. Danger lurked in the shadows everywhere Shiloh turned. I was a fan of that. I also liked the cast of characters, who varied greatly in their charms, motivations, and intentions. I liked that the story wasn't afraid to go as dark (and maybe slightly depressing) as it did. A lot of stories will skitter around some of the things that happened in this one. This made the town's "curse" feel even more immediate to Shiloh and to us as readers.

I liked the love story as well. Trent is kind of a sweetheart when you break the tough guy exterior. One thing I didn't like so much about the love story was that I feel a little weird calling it a "love" story. Some places definitely felt more like a "lust" story. But for the most part, I was fine with it. ...Trent's hot, what can I say? That kind of excuses some of the "let me eat your face" vibe I got from their kissing scenes (that was rare and far between).

There were moments when Shiloh's reactions or words didn't quite seem as genuine as they could have and that would momentarily take me out of the flow of the story. She's 16 and I'm not anymore. I get that. But it hasn't been that long ago I was her age. She seems quite a bit more emotional than I ever was.

Overall, I liked it and I'm looking forward to seeing what the next book has in store.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautifully Broken.