Dominic's Reviews > Almost Perfect

Jun 20, 11

liked it
bookshelves: banned-ya-lit-class, young-adult
Read from June 19 to 20, 2011

This is an important story to tell. There aren't many books written about transgender teens--especially in small-town Missouri!--and this one captures something special. The story is told from the perspective of Logan, a straight boy who falls in love with Sage, not knowing that she is transgender (or what that really means). I rather wish the story was told from Sage's point-of-view, but that would probably be a harder book to write. Logan does grow in maturity and eventually gains an acceptance of different gender identities (as you would expect), but Katcher's critique of patriarchal masculinity doesn't go far enough.

Still, for what this is--more romance and drama than psychology and social justice--I certainly can say I enjoyed it, and I recommend it for its great intentions and Katcher's well-spun modern take on the teenage love story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Almost Perfect.

message 1: by Declan (new)

Declan Have you read Luna. Similar topic but I found it disappointing in it's failure to find a way to move past posing the problem.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I met Brian Katcher!

Dominic I did, too, Sarah! My prof brought him to class, and we got to talk to him for an hour. He was very down-to-earth. Super cool.

Michael Okay, three of my friends have read this. I need to read it as well.