Pamela's Reviews > She's No Faerie Princess

She's No Faerie Princess by Christine Warren

Jul 12, 07

bookshelves: paranormal-romance
Read in March, 2007

Okay, the title sucks. But don't let the title scare you away. This is a funny, sexy, involved story that's pretty well-written. The main character, Fiona, is the niece of Queen Mab, the ruler of the Seelie Course of Faerie. She is bored with court and all of the intrigues that are a part of being a possible heir, so Fiona sneaks through the gate into the mortal world, popping out in Central Park. Instead of getting to eat hot dogs and hang out at punk clubs, though, Fiona is almost immediately attacked by a demon (which are definitely not common in the mortal world) and ends up being helped by Tobias Walker, a werewolf who works as sort of a supernatural cop.

The romance between Fiona and Walker is set against a political situation and a murder mystery. The Others (i.e. shapeshifters, vampires, and the like) are trying to come out of the closet, so to speak, and are in negotiations for their civil rights with human politicians. Threatening this is a series of murders that look like they've been committed by Others, though with Fiona's help, they discover demon involvement. And since demons must be summoned by sorcerers, Walker and Fiona have to find out who's doing the summoning before the negotiations are derailed.

The mystery could have been handled a bit better, I think; I figured out who the villain was as soon as he popped up in the book, and I like to be tricked by my mysteries. Fiona is a spunky heroine, but she's not so spunky as to make me retch. I have a very low tolerance for spunky heroines, but Fiona is funny enough to sneak in under my radar. Walker is grumpy. Heh. I like him very muchly. The supporting characters could have been developed more; as they are, they're in danger of being characatures (Too Serious Alpha, Spunky Empowered Wife, etc).

The book has its flaws, but the whole package comes together so charmingly that I can forgive the flaws and enjoy the hell out of it. The hot smut probably helps, too, heh.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She's No Faerie Princess.