James's Reviews > Quarter Share

Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell

Jul 02, 11

While this may not conform to the usual style of books that I am used to, it is seriously worth a read and is an excellent piece of work. As I said, it isn't in the usual style of books; it doesn't have a climax, build up or any other type of pacing; it lacks conflict and true danger. Still, despite lacking what must be perceived as staple aspects of a book, this story excels.

It is more of a narrative of the ordinary life of one Ishmael Horatio Wang and his adventures - well, more life than adventure - and it is this realism and the incredible world building that really sells this book.

I can't think of anything that was wrong with this book at all, and while it may not be a five star, in my mind it is a solid four star. Worthy of being on anyone's bookshelves.

If you are put off by the lack of action, adventure, etc etc don't be. I can't quite put my finger on what makes this books special, but you must read it. Even if it is just to read something so far flung from the norm, it is worth reading.

A reviewer said that it was a 'love letter to sci-fi' and I can't agree more, it is... special.

You must read it.

Have fun reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quarter Share.