willaful's Reviews > The Sergeant's Lady

The Sergeant's Lady by Susanna Fraser

Jun 19, 2011

bookshelves: sexy-beta, a-matter-of-class, on-the-road-on-the-run, star-crossed-or-forbidden-luv, special-needs-physical
Recommended for: fans of Carla Kelly
Read from June 17 to 18, 2011 , read count: 1

The Carla Kelly-ish title is an excellent choice for this Carla Kelly-ish story, a well-written, intelligent and authentic feeling romance set during the Penisular War. The title has a second layer of meaning however, because the romance is between a lowly enlisted sergeant and a daughter of an earl -- a "lady" he can never have.

I'm not a big fan of wartime stories, but couldn't resist these brave, kind, appealing characters, who love each other so tenderly. And I appreciated how they realistically recognize the obstacles between them, yet keep striving for solutions, when the possibilities present themselves. Best of all, the story doesn't go in several obvious directions: (view spoiler) A lovely story for those who appreciate a gentle romance.
13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sergeant's Lady.

02/22 marked as: read

Rane I loved this story, but was bummed that the Sequel/prequel didn't hold up

willaful Aw, too bad.

willaful You know, I bet she wrote that one first and couldn't get it published until after she published TSL.

Rane willaful wrote: "You know, I bet she wrote that one first and couldn't get it published until after she published TSL."

Maybe...but I think she wrote TSL first and because of the rave reviews, she went back and wrote the other story to fill in some blanks?

willaful I guessed right (though she did rewrite significantly): http://carinapress.com/blog/tag/susan...

message 6: by Jan (new) - added it

Jan This has been on my TBR for a while, but I'm a bit confused which one I'm supposed to read first.