Nina's Reviews > The Superiors

The Superiors by Lena Hillbrand

2190147
At first this reminded me of the film Daybreakers, in the future the world is run by high tech vampires, that is where the similarities end however, which is good since I didn't really like the movie much.

Humans or 'saps' are thought of as animals and are kept in confinements, which are basically farms; restaurants, where vampires have a choice of different saps to feed from; or sometimes, if a vampire is wealthy enough, in a vampire's home as livestock. Vampires have their own heirarchy of Orders. The First Order we don't actually ever see, but from what we're told they are the strongest and oldest, and seem to have been the ones who started everything. The Second Order are the first group of humans that were changed, they usually hold high ranks and are wealthy. The Third Order is the last, they are lowly and are thought of as barely better than saps.

Draven Castle is a Third Order vampire who has a soft spot for animals such as saps. He is forevor frozen in his twenties, he lives a boring and meaningless life and is constantly changing jobs. He catches a young human girl named Aspen, he feeds from her before returning her to the Confinement. A few years later while visiting a restaurant he finds Aspen, whose name has been changed to Cali. After feeding from her again he realizes how much he enjoys her taste and visits her many times after that. Soon, their relationship changes into a kind of strange friendship and Draven begins trying to find a way to buy Cali for himself.

I thought this was a cool, new take on vampires and I was actually surprised by how much I liked it. I recommend this if you like reading vampire stories and are looking for one that's a little different from the vampire romances that have flooded the market. And for those who are wanting romance, there really isn't a love story here but this is only the first in a series so who knows.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Superiors.