Sammy's Reviews > Into Temptation

Into Temptation by Penny Vincenzi

Mar 16, 08

bookshelves: a-the-best
Read in October, 2007

By far the best of the trilogy, in my opinion (obviously). Once again your favorite characters return (the living ones at least) and the Lytton family drama is in full force. The books seem to focus specifically on three distinct generations while keeping the other ones fresh on the surface and not letting them get too far away. No Angel of course focused on the original Lyttons in their prime such as Oliver, Sebastian, LM and of course Celia. Then Something Dangerous added a little more focus on their children. Of course you can guess that Into Temptation held a stronger spotlight on that third generation of Lyttons. Though, throughout the novels, two characters break down that generation gap and continue to steal focus, two of the strongest and of course my favorites: Celia and Barty.

One thing I felt made this book a little stronger was that all the stories were so interconnected. Something happened to someone or they did something and it causes a ripple effect. The other books had a touch of that, but the stories seemed to only be tied together as they were happening to members of the same family. Of course I enjoyed the other books, but the fact this one had more of a linear storyline and things were caused by the decisions and actions of other made this story flow so much more and a lot more interesting to read. More interesting to read because even though you may be following a character you're not quite as fond of, you want to know what's happening to them because of what a character you love did. Does that make sense?

My only problem with this book in general was it still held a very old fashioned quality to it, it did not seem like it had entered into the latter half of the 20th century, those years following WWII, even though that was the time it was supposed to be in. Also, the Americans (the actual Americans) seemed very British to me. I thought Vincenzi would have taken more opportunities to show the differences of cultures and generations. She occasionally did it with the generations, but not so much with the cultures. Perhaps she was focusing on so much to begin with that adding that in may have been a little too much.

Overall though, I loved this book. It was the perfect ending to a fantastic trilogy. And it ends in such a way that you know the stories will continue... just maybe not in writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into Temptation.