Mina's Reviews > Blood Red Road

F_50x66
Aug 27, 11

bookshelves: favorites, books-i-own, reviews, 2011, young-adult, for-review
Read in June, 2011

The moment I picked this book I was intrigued. I fell in love with the cover and more importantly the synopsis lured me in. I can't begin to explain how much I loved this book but I can say one thing with complete certainty, this debut novel is fantastic.

When Saba's brother, Lugh gets taken away, she makes it her mission and priority to go rescue him. However, on her journey, she gets kidnapped and put to work as a cage fighter. Here, she meets Jack, another cage fighter, and finds herself drawn to him immediately. Though, in that instant she discovers how conceited he is. Eventually, Saba manages to escape but without leaving Jack.

The first few pages of Blood Red Road was without doubt one of the main reasons why I carried on reading. I was awed with Young's writing. I even thought that the touch of dialect will have me running but that was presented perfectly as well. I could not envision it any other way.

Saba is one lovable character. I love her determination and spirit. But she has her flaws. As much as she loves Lugh, she hates her sister. I didn't connect with her as much for this reason. She isn't exactly a great person but this is something she works on. And so, she grew on me. Also, a tiny part of me likes her because of Jack.

Jack is cocky but perfect. Yes I love him. He may be arrogant but Saba does feel something for him. She cannot understand this however. She loves him but hates him all the same. They have a pretty funny relationship going on and you can't help but smile whenever they're together.

If you haven't read Blood Red Road, what are you waiting for? You sure as hell are missing an amazing adventure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Red Road.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Wicked cover! I haven't seen this cover, it looks super awesome. I loved Blood Red Road.

Mina I know! I prfer this one to the US cover... I agree, the book was awesome :)