Sharakael's Reviews > Zaregoto 1: Book 1: The Kubikiri Cycle

Zaregoto 1 by NisiOisiN

Oct 12, 11

bookshelves: japanese-author, proper-murder-mystery
Read from October 10 to 12, 2011, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I started reading this book with a rather high expectation, and came away mostly satisfied.

The things that bugged me were the ones which I thought was rather unnecessary... for example, the antagonistic attitudes some of the characters adopted towards the protagonist, when he didn't do anything (in my opinion) to earn the enmity. For Maki's case, it felt like it was a bait for another novel down the track, but since I haven't heard about the rest of the novels getting translated that just left me with an unsatisfied hunger for more.

I'm also rather disappointed that the criminal(s) got away without any punishment... considering what s/he/they had done.

Other than that though... it was very well written, and the translation flowed smoothly. At some points in the story I wished there was a diagram/map/illustration to aid with understanding the plot/tricks, but sadly there wasn't any so I took a star off my rating for that. The visual aid wouldn't be necessary if you can devote your whole attention to the book while reading, but since I read during commute to and from work (and having to look up every few seconds of so to see if the bus is coming), it's rather hard to fully concentrate.

I liked both the protagonist and Kunagisa Tomo, and the way their relationship in the book was described was endearing to me. It's not romance, and yet at the same time it was romantic (to me). Add to the fact that there were hints of things that had happened in the past but never explained in the book... really made me wish the rest of the novels would get translated.

The plot itself was good, and as for the reason behind the murders... I'll give that area a leeway since all the characters in the book were, by normal definition, genius freaks... and they don't think the way normal people do.

Overall I really liked this novel, and wish Del Rey (or any other publisher) would pick up the rest of the novels to translate. I already got the second novel, but will put off reading it until later since I know there won't be more after that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zaregoto 1.