Leonard Anthony's Reviews > The Stolen Throne

The Stolen Throne by David Gaider

Jul 31, 11

Recommended for: CRPG Fans, Dragon Age players, fantasy fans
Read from June 18 to July 30, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Started reading this yesterday a few hours after I started playing Dragon Age: Origins. The world feels fresh and yet old-school enough, with that wonderful promise of a good old fantasy adventure. More later :)

Update: Well, I managed to finish it. It was nice knowing what happened before Dragon Age: Origins began. I still haven't finished DA:O as of this time (I'm about to enter the Elven Alienage in Denerim and the Landsmeet imminent). The world is steeped in lore, and it's good seeing them in a novel like this.

David Gaider's writing style is evocative and to the point, making this an easy and enjoyable read, especially if you're a fan of the game. Otherwise, it's still a good time sink. I love the feel of the world--a little dark like A Game of Thrones except it's more magical and game-able.

I still think Loghain Mac Tir's a prick.

On to The Calling!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stolen Throne.

06/19/2011 page 16
07/07/2011 page 129
32.0% "Maric's Rebel Army just managed to escape the false king's forces thanks to Loghain's strategy. Shale sees some action, but he's more of an automaton in this book rather than the amusing and sarcastic free-willed golem from the Dragon Age: Origins DLC."
07/27/2011 page 351
88.0% "Last few pages of the book and it feels like it: looks like Maric and his rebel army are laying out the groundwork for a successful retaking of Ferelden from the usurping Orlesians."
07/28/2011 page 380
95.0% "Man, Loghain's a real dick."