Rose May's Reviews > Anticipation

Anticipation by Patrice Michelle

Jun 19, 11

bookshelves: c-plus
Read in March, 2011

Note: This review, and all my reviews, comes from my blog - Romantic Rose's Bookshelf (http://romantic-rosesblog.blogspot.com)

I give Ms. Michelle the award for the most-overused title-cliché in the history of romantic writing. The word 'anticipation' appears so many times in the book, I couldn’t decide if I should laugh, cry, or gag. Also, what was with the goat noises partway through their first sexy scene? The beginning, sure; the end, why not? But right in the middle? I don’t know about you, but goats ruin my mood.

Onto the story itself. Jonas Mendez and Diedre Nelson have loved each other since she left town ten years ago. Diedre moved to the city and hasn’t returned once. However, she has now returned to Ventura to run the small Bed and Breakfast her parents own while they go on vacation. Acts of vandalism against her B+B force her and Sheriff Mendez together – which leads almost immediately to some oh-la-la-bang with a side of cookies (really, I’m serious!). Where the emotional stuff falls a little (a lot) weak in times, the lusty, sexy, unrequited passion mostly makes up for it. Just saying, the scene on the horse - well, there's really nothing to say. It was... mmmmm....

The plot falls by the wayside and is sorely underdeveloped, but it serves its purpose of reuniting the characters. It’s a little sad that we don’t get to see them grow to like each other at all, we just get to see them sex each other up. I think it had all the trappings to become a great story but it was lacking a lot of excitement and emotion and it felt a little dull and lackluster to me. Unfortunately, this was a story where it seemed the events reacted to and revolved around the characters, instead of the characters reacting to life's events. Its just that little tilt that makes this story seem a tad off-kilter.

“Sexy”ness rating: Hot!

Overall Rating: C+

Bottom Line: If you like sexy cowboys taking their long-lost sweetheart for a ride, grab your saddle and YEE-HAW! Looking for emotion beyond delicious, sexy passion? Seek elsewhere.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anticipation.