Marilag's Reviews > Daughter Of The Empire

Daughter Of The Empire by Raymond E. Feist

Mar 16, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, fantasy, war, female-leads
Read from March 11 to 16, 2012

Right. It goes without saying that I rated this terribly high because of one character and one character only: Mara, the Lady of the Acoma. And considering this is her story, well, that makes for everything, doesn't it?

Granted that Mara was surrounded by some of the best possible allies, it was really mostly her doing that she'd come to gain these allies in the first place. And while she relied on the likes of Keyoke, Papewaio, Nacoya, Jican, and the overly-fantastic Arakasi for their skills, in the end, it was her cockamamie plans that somehow worked wonders in her survival in the Game of the Council. For that, I frelling loved her.

The story itself was also delicious, mostly because I loved the intrigue of the court. The dangerous game being played was--while subtle and not "war"-centric--probably just as violent as if throwing armies against each other. You really didn't see much fighting physically (minus the occasional scuffles to throw action in there). But you saw how the moves of the different factions affected the plot, and you saw the different minds at work. I'm not ashamed to admit that I reveled in Mara's victories just as much as I reveled in the downfall of her numerous opponents.

One can only tell what comes after this!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter Of The Empire.

03/14/2012 page 150
36.0% "Enjoying this immensely. Mara's plans make me laugh, but I think it's the people she surrounds herself with that makes her fantastic."
show 1 hidden update…