Rita's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Mar 29, 2013

bookshelves: fantasy, in-my-home-library, fiction, 2012, my-reviews, 5-stars, high-fantasy, first-in-series
Read from February 29 to March 22, 2012

Need to think about what to say about this one. But safe to say: best book so far this year.

Edit review as of March 29th 2013:
This book just blew me away! I've never been a big fantasy reader, always found Lord of the Rings to be somewhat drawn out and a little bit of a tedious read, so I expected this book to be a bit of a drawn out affair as well, with never ending descriptions and silly wizzards, but that certainly wasn't the case. This book has grit, action, surprises and well-developed characters you cannot help falling in love with - even those you hate with a passion you kind of love - they get under your skin and you want to slap them and make them change their ways!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes Rita Liked

George R.R. Martin
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

03/01/2012 page 47
03/02/2012 page 68
8.0% "I think that I may have found my favourite Fantasy book!" 2 comments
03/04/2012 page 103
12.0% "Can't. Put. It. Down. But. I. Must. For. Work. Beckons."
03/07/2012 page 240
29.0% 4 comments
03/14/2012 page 444
55.0% "I just had to post a few thoughts on my blog!" 4 comments
03/15/2012 page 523
65.0% 4 comments
show 23 hidden updates…

message 1: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee Started it too! Have you seen the TV show already, or are you watching it after reading the book?

Rita I haven't watched it yet, but am planning to get the blue ray once it's released over here. I don't think that it's aired here yet. The people I know who have seen it have *cough*downloaded*cough* it. I prefer to get my drugs the legal way :-)
Have you watched the show yet? Do you like the book? I am in awe!

message 3: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee Yup, I've seen the show, the whole Season 1 actually, and waiting eagerly for Season 2 to start in April now. I'm trying to read the book but no time so far to really get into it :)

Rita Well, a 800-page book does require some commitment - these days I'm actually looking forward to commuting to and from work!

Irene How do you like it so far?

Rita I'm almost done - I think that I have about 20 or so pages left if we ignore the appendix (which I am). I have to say that I'm really, really enjoying it so far. I wish that I could read quicker, but it's quite a brick to get through! I must be patient with it :-)

What about you? Are you enjoying it too?

Irene That's great!
No, unfortunately not. I'm so incredibly bored! :/ I can't even tell what the storyline is yet. I'm at page 243. But I refuse to give up on it

Rita That's a lot of pages to have read when it doesn't really catch you. I think that perhaps you should try it another time when you are more in the right mood for it - you shouldn't have to force yourself to read it. You should read it because you want to :-)

Irene But I want to read it. You know? :) but it's okay. I'm just being stubborn with it now haha

message 10: by Zee (new)

Zee Monodee I think, to me, the book makes sense because I saw the TV show first. Otherwise, I'd be lost too :) There are too many characters to keep track of, and they're not that well described as to stand out, you know.