Laura's Reviews > Cravings

Cravings by Laurell K. Hamilton

Jun 19, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, urban-fantasy, short-stories, gothic-horror, paranormal-thriller
Read in June, 2011

First off, I don't care much for short stories. Very, very few authors are good at developing characters, plot, setting, etc. to write a good short story.

Second off, I think it's a rip-off for an author to write a series and then continue the story line in a short story in a book such as this, especially if that short story is going to be referred to in subsequent books. I really appreciate the authors who add their short stories at the end of a novel--a lagniappe, as it were, to the audience.

However, I have to admit that I do use books such as Cravings to introduce me to the styles of authors within the same genre who I may not be familiar with.

I was already familiar with the work of Laurell K. Hamilton (rip-off) and Mary Janice Davidson (good one). Laurell's story begins the seduction of Nathaniel, something I've been waiting for which should have been part of a novel while Mary Janice's story is an off-shoot of her Undead series, a favorite, irreverent vampire series. The two balanced nicely between the gothic prose of Laurell and the lightheartedness of Mary Janice.

Wilk's story was a fun off-shoot. Is she playing with a new idea? If so, I'd like to explore more of that universe.

York's story is a werewolf mystery. Why do so many werewolf stories have to do with bonded matings? When did that become part of the folklore? What does it say about modern Americans that we're so enthralled with the idea?

All in all, Cravings is a fun read but I'm still ticked off with Laurell because her readers need to read it to continue the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cravings.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shannon C. I really liked Wilks story also. Have you read her World of Lupi series? It's really good and set in the same world as this short story.

Laura Shannon wrote: "I really liked Wilks story also. Have you read her World of Lupi series? It's really good and set in the same world as this short story."

No, I haven't read her World of Lupi series. I had the feeling that she was familiar with this world but I'm not ready to begin a new series right now.

I still need to catch up on the Kitty series. <-- my favorite werewolf series