Beth Dawkins's Reviews > Fuzzy Nation

Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi

Jun 21, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from June 19 to 21, 2011

Jack Holloway, with his dog Carl is an independent contractor working on the plant Zarathustra. Jack happens upon a find while prospecting that could make him a fortune. When he goes home he finds that his cabin has been invaded by fuzzy cat-like critters. The problem is that if these cute fuzzy animals turn out to be more than just animals it could stop the money from rolling in, not just for Holloway, but for the super mega company he is contracted with.

Fuzzy Nation was a quick, enjoyable read. I am ready for some Fuzzy Nation fan gear. I want to sport Ewoks. I know they are never called, or considered Ewoks in the story, but that’s what I saw, little Ewoks! Alright, I have had my Ewok moment. The Ew—Fuzzies made this book for me. I cared about the little critters right away. It was purely enjoyable and fun to have them around. They had personality even without words, and they were cute!

Jack Holloway isn’t as loveable. Have you ever met one of those guys that are constantly screwing up? You think they mean well, but then at the last moment they disappoint? That’s Holloway. That was how he was written, as an underdog-screw-up. What makes Holloway worth your time is Carl, his dog. Everyone loves his friendly dog Carl, even me! Carl likes the Fuzzies just as much as Holloway.

I didn’t know what to expect from the story. I know this is a reboot of an old series, but I haven’t read the old ones. I want to now, after having enjoyed Fuzzy Nation so much. The story is about the little guy rising above the big company. I spent the entire book rooting for an alien species. Holloway with the help of his ex-girl friend, Isabel, and her new lawyer boyfriend spend their time entangled with company that will do everything they can to get to the minerals in the planet.

I usually like action, big epic fights, things blowing up and blood everywhere. There is not so much of this, and more pull on the heart strings. It made me care without realizing it. I would recommend it to most anyone between (maybe even younger than this, but I am attempting to sound responsible. I don’t think it has any naughty content.) 16-to dead! It has added a new writer to my TBR list, as well as the original series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fuzzy Nation.