Marilag's Reviews > The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Mar 11, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-reads, dystopia, scifi, suspense, speculative, young-adult
Read from March 09 to 11, 2012

Ooh, well this was pretty darn good. Nothing like a good dystopia to end the night!

But honestly, I really liked the set-up into the rest of the trilogy; the mystery of the Flares, the introduction of the various characters that would become clearly important later on, etc. I might have gotten attached to characters again (yay Minho and Newt!), but after so many Game of Thrones moments, I might have at least braced myself for a couple of heart-wrenching moments. And those moments did come.

What I did find the most vivid in the storytelling, however, is the image of the Grievers. At first, when I started into the story, I thought the Grievers were these menacing, long-limbed beasts that were the hybrids of a skinny lion and a Deathclaw (yes, I am pulling a Fallout: New Vegas reference here). But a third into the story, the actual description puts the Grievers as a hybrid of spiked-up porcupine machinery in the body of a slug. I'm not sure whether I was more disgusted by the description or freaked out. Probably both, since I despise slugs and hearing about them clanking and crawling, with a great deal of arsenal all over their bodies? Yeah, pretty much takes the cake on creepiness there.

Now, I know it's a trilogy, so clearly the entire purpose of the Maze Trials is still only hazy. But I wonder exactly what purpose the entire thing is supposed to have...but that's only very little of my unanswered questions...

So yes, fast-paced and really enjoyable!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.