Alex's Reviews > Under the Eagle

Under the Eagle by Simon Scarrow

Jun 22, 11

When I first started reading this book I really enjoyed it. The main character, Macro, was instantly likable and amusing. The introduction of Cato was a little cliched - the naive but well-read and intelligent young man being thrust into an environment completely at odds to his personality - but still, it was done in a lighthearted fashion and despite his obvious naivety, he too is a likable character.

The story progresses at a pleasing pace and the descriptions of the battles are entertaining and thorough. Cato's love interest is a little dull but can be ignored for the most part. All in all, I was contemplating I how much money it was going to cost me to buy the rest of the series about 25% of the way in.

However, this book then developed one major failing: There is meant to be an on-going political conspiracy which Macro and Cato stumble across. The problem is that it is not well developed and I found it to be confusing. It was almost as if Scarrow was not really sure where he was going with the conspiracy himself and so is unable to describe it satisfactorily to the reader.

This was a real shame because the rest of the book was so enjoyable and I just wish the politics had either been stronger or not included at all. A book detailing the experiences of ordinary legionaries during the second invasion of Britain would have been interesting enough!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Eagle.