Kris's Reviews > Count Down to Love

Count Down to Love by Julie N. Ford

Jul 18, 11

bookshelves: books-reviewed, contemporary
Read from June 27 to 29, 2011

Read my review at Imaginary Reads!

Count Down to Love is a fun, flirty and very clean read. I really enjoyed the precious moments that Kelly spends with Dillon. She really needed to meet someone like him: someone warm and caring, someone who appreciated her as a person, not a moneymaking tool. I liked Kelly herself. She’s outspoken and honest, a large contrast to the worldly girls on the show.

Honestly, I don’t like how country girls are considered naïve and city girls sophisticated. I’m a city girl, and I’m not especially rich or snobby, but I do like how Kelly is a country girl. I love stories about country girls and guys, and Kelly is an especially sweet girl. She likes to look nice, but she isn’t too big on fashion. She’s honest and wants to help people for a living. It’s obvious what Dillon sees in her, but she’s going through heartache and hasn’t learned to appreciate whom she is. That’s what the story is about.

I know that Ford meant for this to be a story about Kelly discovering herself, but I believe that she centered the story too much on Kelly. We don’t get to meet a lot of the cast or see much of Kelly’s interactions with them, which would have brightened and fleshed the story. She could have also developed Trevor’s impact on Kelly’s life more so that we know why she’s so hung up on the fiancé that jilted her on their wedding day.

Still, this is a great book for a summer read, and I enjoyed myself immensely. You don’t see too many clean adult novels. There were no sensual scenes in Count Down to Love. In fact, other than the fact that the characters were adults and had jobs, you could see this as a young adult novel. Older readers of contemporary teen reads will enjoy this book too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Count Down to Love.