Clare's Reviews > The Golden Apples

The Golden Apples by Eudora Welty

Aug 28, 07

Read in August, 2007

This book has been an albatross around my neck all freaking summer. I found it on a table of free books while out for a walk one day, and I thought, being a writer and a Southerner, perhaps I should read one of the most lauded Southern writers. There were a couple chapters of this book that I just loved, where I could see what all the fuss over Eudora Welty was about--she paints such a wonderful picture of small-town Southern life in the early 20th century that I could almost feel the shimmering heat of Morgana, Mississippi. (Or maybe that was just the heat of early 21st century Washington, D.C. right outside my door.) Unfortunately, I hated most of the rest of the book--some chapters relied too much on stream-of-consciousness narration for my taste, and it bounced around so much that I felt I never really got to know any of the inhabitants of Morgana. I'm glad I finally got to see what's so great (or not so great) about Eudora Welty, but it'll probably be a while before I'm brave enough to pick up another one of her books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Apples.