Wanett's Reviews > I Like Myself!

I Like Myself! by Karen Beaumont

Jun 18, 11

bookshelves: favorites

The protagonist of Karen Beaumont’s I Like Myself! is so charming readers cannot help but love her. The colors of David Catrow’s illustrations are as bold as the character as she and her dog twirl, skip and rocket through the pages of this journey of self-like. Her self-confidence is contagious as she tells us about all of the things she likes about herself. Her assurances that she would be just as likeable with “beaver breath or stinky toes” because it’s what’s inside that counts are messages that kids and adults should both take to heart.

This lighthearted tale is an ideal read together bedtime story as its short passages are humorous and easily remembered after a few reads. The detail-laden illustrations are great for taking a closer look at with children, they provide the perfect starting point to come up with tales about what she and her dog got up to before or after the moment the “picture” was taken. I must mention how refreshing it is to see a brown skinned protagonist in a story in which color and race are not the focus. She’s simply a happy little girl who wants to share all that she loves about herself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Like Myself!.