Mrsgaskell's Reviews > The Alchemist

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Jun 18, 11

bookshelves: 5-star, bookcrossing
Read in July, 2008

After reading The Devil and Miss Prym, I had high expectations of The Alchemist. I was disappointed. It’s the story of an Andalusian shepherd boy who consults a palm reader and an elderly man after having a recurring dream. He is advised to travel to the pyramids in search of a treasure, and to fulfill his “personal legend”. The book’s message is a good one, to follow your dreams and listen to your heart. But the message is pointed out to the reader over and over again, which I found irritating. I agree that humans can get completely caught up in providing for their daily needs and comforts, forgetting to think about what they’re here for, and what’s important in life. But I didn’t agree entirely with Coelho’s view – he suggests that you must follow your dream whatever the cost, even leaving love behind because “you can always go back” – I don’t believe that is so. Sometimes, we need to make choices about what is truly important.
I’ve seen the book compared to The Little Prince but there is no comparison – The Little Prince is a wonderful book, in a different class entirely. My recommendation would be to read The Little Prince and The Devil and Miss Prym and forget about The Alchemist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alchemist.