Lydia Presley's Reviews > Miss Timmins' School for Girls

Miss Timmins' School for Girls by Nayana Currimbhoy

Jun 20, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fiction, india, mystery
Read from June 18 to 20, 2011

Let me just say that last year I may have overdosed a bit on books set in India. Some were good, some were bad, but overall they seemed to have the same melancholy, morose feel to them and I promised myself I'd lay off of them for a while.

Then I signed up for this tour. My first thought was, great, here we go again, but then I picked up the book and started reading and realized this was unlike any story set in India I'd read thus far.

The story of Charu was interesting enough - but add into the mix a murder mystery and the book takes on a new purpose and life of its own just when the story seems to start slowing down. While I could have done without some aspects of the book, the murder mystery was quite well done and moved at a solid pace.

Nayana Currimbhoy did a beautiful job of crafting a story that had memorable characters, a good sense of mystery and thrill, and just enough emotion that it had my heart aching more than a few times for the emotions the characters were experiencing.

So, in short, I'm not sorry I picked up this story set in India, and if anything, I think its given me hope and the desire to seek out more stories like it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Timmins' School for Girls.