K's Reviews > Enclave

Enclave by Ann Aguirre

Jun 18, 11

bookshelves: library

I liked the story, but maybe not the telling of it. So I’m on the fence.

Deuce sees a different side of her home, the underground enclave where she’s always lived, after earning her name and becoming a Huntress. She’s got a job and extra freedoms that allow her to see what the elders are really up to, and it’s nothing like she learned about as a brat. Deuce isn’t acting like they expect her to act and her instinct to protect gets her shunned. She and her hunting partner Fade are forced to travel further than ever before and need to find a way to survive the unknown world Topside.

Remember Ben Stiller in 50 First Dates trying to get Lucy to notice him at the Hukilau Café? When he pretends he can’t read, it’s all “panclocks” and “C is that little half a squiggly one?” Basically a big ol’ I do not know these ways—I’ll prove it, let me tell it to you! A lot of this book was the Deuce saying “I do not know these ways—I’ll prove it, let me tell it to you!” Like Ariel’s first day on dry land, but for many inconsistent pages. (For example, Deuce explains that Fade can’t tell her what the pinpricks in the night sky are, but shortly thereafter: I imagined they were torches from a city built on high. It would take a bird to reach it, so maybe the people who lived up there had wings. They would be pale and beautiful with ivory feathers and starry hair. Those kinds of things kept happening and drove me crazy, not to mention out of the story.)

Still—gangers, Freaks, Burrowers. Everyone’s gone (to where? because of what?) and survival is depending on whatever’s available in this new dead world. The buildings in the city are still standing, but it’s very Life After People. I want to know what happened, but maybe the CliffsNotes version will suffice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enclave.