Mark's Reviews > Robopocalypse

Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson

Feb 02, 12

Read from January 26 to February 01, 2012

An ok read that will make a good movie someday, but I think World War Z was better. In fact, the two books are awkwardly similar--you can't help but compare the stories about mankind facing a common enemy that rises up from amongst us to almost wipe us out. Even the narrative style is similar, using a plot device to describe everything in a series of anecdotes.

Why artificially intelligent machines may be the more likely doomsday scenario than zombie hordes (unless those zombies are really a viral or biological unknown danger we unleash...hmmm), that may also be the book's weakness. Most of us have a feeling for how computers and machines work, more than we know about the undead(!), so some parts of the story didn't feel right. Like that there was one big enemy headquarters, rather than an infinitely-copied, diffuse (backed-up!) Skynet style enemy.

In the end, I thought it was like a giant Star Trek episode, in terms of its scientific accuracy. That's not a bad thing, but there are better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Robopocalypse.