Ariana Deralte's Reviews > A Madness of Angels

A Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin

2205678
Jun 25, 11

bookshelves: horror, magic, supernatural, urban-fantasy
Read from June 18 to 25, 2011

I really wanted to enjoy this book, so whenever I got bogged down and had to put the book down for a few days before forcing myself to keep reading, I tried to figure out why it just wasn't working for me. About 3/4 of the way through I realized that it was just that the book was very much form over substance. It all sounds very good (if overly wordy), but in the end, I didn't really care about any of the characters or the frankly dull plot. The way it was presented sucked all of the life out of the plot as well. Alternate povs and a less chronological tact would have livened it up a lot.

There were scenes that were good - summoning the transportation spirit was a great scene which disappointingly didn't go anywhere, and some of the fight scenes would have been fun to watch (though not so much to read), but there were so many other scenes that left me wondering why I was reading about dry cleaning for the third time. I liked the idea of urban magic. I liked the angels and how they and Matthew were portrayed, but in the end, that wasn't enough to keep this book interesting, and that is something I can only blame on the author. I was going to cut her more slack if this had been her first novel, maybe read the second one to see if it gets better, but the interview at the end tells me it isn't, so goodbye to this series for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Madness of Angels.

06/24/2011 page 387